SEATTLE – The Salvation Army Emergency Disaster Services team has been working in Central Washington and the areas devastated by the wildfires. According to the Associated Press, the cost of fighting this season’s wildfires has crossed the $50 million mark. This figure does not include loss of property and damage to infrastructure.
The number of homes destroyed has increased to 330. Plus, a threat remains for approximately 3,000 nearby homes and commercial structures. (Source: The Northwest Interagency Coordination Center)
The Salvation Army is working in the area to provide immediate relief now, and will stay in the area for as long as needed. We will work with the community until it is restored, which may take years.
• Tangible items donated during the past weeks have been delivered to Pateros, WA, for distribution (seven truck loads). Families impacted by wildfires can receive items. Please visit The Salvation Army Wenatchee Family Services Office (1205 S. Columbia Street, 98801).
• Food and shelter are currently being provided by other agencies. The Salvation Army is on standby to assist when other agency resources run out.
• Our service unit in Twisp, WA, is writing vouchers for gasoline, prescriptions, utilities, and rent.
• Our service unit in Chelan, WA, is writing vouchers for gasoline.
• We began distributing tents on 7-31-14, as hotel availability is limited and shelters will eventually close.
How to Help
The most critical need right now is for monetary donations. There are three ways to contribute to The Salvation Army relief and restoration efforts for the Central Washington wildfires:
1. By phone: 1-800-SAL-ARMY – designate gift for ‘Central WA Wildfires’
2. On-line at: www.SalvationArmyNW.org – designate gift for ‘Central WA Wildfires’
3. By mail: Send a check, marked ‘Central WA Wildfires’ to The Salvation Army, Northwest Divisional Headquarters, 111 Queen Anne Avenue N #300, Seattle, WA, 98109
The best way to help during any disaster, large or small, is often to make a financial contribution. Cash donations allow disaster responders to immediately meet the specific needs of disaster survivors without incurring many of the costs associated with sorting, packing, transporting and distributing donated goods. Salvation Army disaster services are funded entirely by donors, and The Salvation Army uses 100% of all disaster donations in support of disaster relief operations.
A suggestion for donations is gift cards that can be distributed to families in need. Gift cards to local stores help stimulate the local economy. Suggested vendors are home improvement and hardware stores (Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc) and grocery and clothing stores (Walmart, Target, Fred Meyer, etc). Gift cards can be delivered to The Salvation Army Wenatchee Family Services Office (1205 S. Columbia Street, 98801).
* * *
The Salvation Army was founded in 1865 when William Booth decided to take his ministry into the streets of London where it would reach the poor, the homeless, the hungry and the destitute. It is now part of the universal Christian Church, and an international organization meeting human needs in 123 countries around the globe. The Salvation Army continues its tradition in Washington by serving more than 500,000 people annually, always meeting human needs without discrimination. Among the services offered in this region are rent/utility/gas assistance, food pantry, clothing, disaster relief services, day care centers, summer camps, holiday assistance, services for the aging, medical facilities, shelters for battered women and children, family and career counseling, vocational training, correction services, and substance abuse rehabilitation.
# # #About The Salvation Army