Conway, AR (April 29, 2014) – The Salvation Army has now over 48 hours of emergency disaster response in the Central Arkansas area hit by devastating tornadoes earlier this week. As of this Tuesday evening, The Salvation Army has provided 2,242 prepared meals, 3,135 drinks and 1,757 snacks. 67 individuals/families have been provided emotional and spiritual care, be it a listening ear, a hug, a prayer or all of the above.
Our canteens serve neighborhoods where families might have been without electricity for two and a half days yet still have a roof over their head and a bed in which to sleep. And, they serve communities where survivors are searching for a piece of their lives in rubble that was once was their home. The Salvation Army is about serving others . . . others who need an encouraging word, a bottle of water or someone to just listen and provide compassion.
The Salvation Army has officers, employees and volunteers from Conway, Fort Smith, Hot Springs, and Little Rock, Arkansas as well as Muskogee, Oklahoma City, and Shawnee, Oklahoma as well as Dallas, Texas.
On Wednesday, The Salvation Army will deploy six canteens to the following locations:
• West Little Rock – Kanis Command Post, 34106 Kanis Road
• Vilonia – Intersection of Meadow Grove and Highway 107
• Mayflower – Mayflower City Hall, 2 Ashmore Street
• 2 roving canteens servicing affected areas in Vilonia
• 1 roving canteen serving affected area in Mayflower
Monetary donations are the most critical need as supplies and personnel are mobilized.
• Donors are encouraged to give online at www.SalvationArmyUSA.org or by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769).
• You can also text the word “STORM” to 80888 to make a $10 donation through your mobile phone; to confirm your gift, respond with the word “Yes.”*
• Donations in the form of checks designated to Tornado Relief may also be mailed to:
The Salvation Army Disaster Relief
P.O. Box 1959
Atlanta, GA 30301
Updates will be provided as more information becomes available. Please follow us at www.twitter.com/SalArmyEDS, www.twitter.com/SalArmyAOKEDS, www.twitter.com/cindyfullerokc, www.twitter.com/SalArmyAOK, www.facebook.com/SalArmyAOK for additional information.
Contact: Cindy Fuller, Mobile: 405/830/6549
About The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army, an evangelical part of the universal Christian church established in 1865, has been supporting those in need in His name without discrimination for 130 years in the United States. Nearly 30 million Americans receive assistance from The Salvation Army each year through the broadest array of social services that range from providing food for the hungry, relief for disaster victims, assistance for the disabled, outreach to the elderly and ill, clothing and shelter to the homeless and opportunities for underprivileged children. 82 cents of every dollar spent is used to carry out those services in 5,000 communities nationwide. For more information, go to www.salvationarmyusa.org.