ALEXANDRIA, Va. (April 29, 2014) – The Salvation Army has completed its first 24 hours of disaster response in the central Arkansas area. Since Monday morning, The Salvation Army has provided 566 prepared meals, 1,362 drinks and 540 snacks to survivors and first responders in Arkansas.
On Tuesday, The Salvation Army deployed six canteens to the following locations:
• West Little Rock: Kanis Command Post, 34106 Kanis Road
• Vilonia: Dollar General Store, 1100 Main Street
• Mayflower: Mayflower City Hall, 2 Ashmore Street
• Two roving canteens serving affected areas in Vilonia
• One roving canteen serving affected area in Mayflower
As severe weather continues to impact the Deep South, The Salvation Army is deploying additional disaster response teams to assess damage and provide food, drinks, and emotional and spiritual care to communities in Alabama and Mississippi impacted by last night’s storms. The Salvation Army is serving survivors and first responders in communities such as Tupelo, Miss., where a mobile kitchen served more than 600 meals last night and Pearl, Miss., where two mobile kitchens from The Salvation Army’s Jackson, Miss., corps are active. Other feeding units are being activated in other hard-hit communities across the two states.
To support relief and long-term recovery efforts:
• Visit SalvationArmyUSA.org or call 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769)
• Text the word “STORM” to 80888 to make a $10 donation through your mobile phone; to confirm your gift, respond with the word “Yes”*
• Donations in the form of checks designated to “April 2014 Tornado Relief” may be mailed to:
The Salvation Army Disaster Relief
P.O. Box 1959
Atlanta, GA 30301
For more information on The Salvation Army’s response, visit blog.salvationarmyusa.org, facebook.com/salvationarmyusa or twitter.com/salvationarmyus.
About The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army, an evangelical part of the universal Christian church established in London in 1865, has been supporting those in need in His name without discrimination for more than 130 years in the United States. Nearly 30 million Americans receive assistance from The Salvation Army each year through a range of social services: providing food for the hungry, relief for disaster victims, assistance for the disabled, outreach to the elderly and ill, clothing and shelter for the homeless, and opportunities for underprivileged children. Eighty-two cents of every dollar The Salvation Army spends is used to support those services in 5,000 communities nationwide. For more information, visit SalvationArmyUSA.org.
###About The Salvation Army