Oklahoma City, OK (June 17, 2013) – Close to 30 days after the first of a series of tornadoes occurred on May 19, May 20 and May 31 in Central Oklahoma, The Salvation Army continues to provide emergency financial assistance as well as meals, snacks and hydration at locations in the impacted areas.
The Salvation Army has provided over 300,000 meals, drinks, and snacks to those impacted by the May tornadoes and flooding. 28 Canteens (mobile feeding units) and Catering Trucks have been deployed from across the country to assist in the disaster response as well as numerous personnel including volunteers, employees and Officers. Additionally, Clean-up and Comfort (hygiene) kits, as well as other necessary items have been provided. Emotional and spiritual care remains a high priority. The Salvation Army has prayed with over 11,500 persons.
For the latest updates on The Salvation Army’s response to this disaster, there are many options to follow:
UPDATES BY LOCATION
The Salvation Army will continue to provide relief services for tornado and flooding survivors indefinitely. Food, hydration, emotional and spiritual care and other supplies are being provided to residents of the heavily impacted areas including: Canadian, Cleveland and Oklahoma counties.
MARCS (Multi-Agency Resource Centers)
Hours: Doors Open at 9:00 a.m.
The Salvation Army is located in the El Reno and Moore MARCs. Assistance includes:
• Financial Assistance to Tornado Survivors
• Salvation Army Family Stores Clothing Vouchers to Tornado and Flooding Survivors
• Referrals for Other Services
El Reno: Jenx Simmons Field House
214 N. Country Club Rd
El Reno, OK
Moore: Westmoore High School
12613 S. Western Ave.
IN KIND EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE (Bulk Distribution) of In-Kind Gifts
At this location, The Salvation Army is providing water, food, hygiene items, and clean-up kits for anyone affected by the recent tornadoes and flooding.
Plaza Mayor at the Crossroads Distribution Hours:
Monday thru Wednesday: 10 AM until 6 PM
Thursday: 10 AM until 9 PM
Friday and Saturday: 10 AM until 6 PM
7000 Crossroads Boulevard
Oklahoma City, OK
(Located on Lower Level West entrance of mall in former JC Penney store)
Directions: Use I-240 entrance. Drive behind the AMC Theatre and park at the JC Penney Entrance.
FIXED FEEDING LOCATIONS
• Westmoore High School MARC (Multi-Agency Recovery Center) at 12613 S. Western Ave., Oklahoma City.
• Plaza Mayor at the Crossroads Tornado Relief Distribution Center at 7000 Crossroads Boulevard, Oklahoma City.
• El Reno MARC at Jenx Simmons Field House, 214 N. Country Club Rd.
ROVING FEEDING FROM CANTEENS:
• At 10 a.m. Salvation Army canteens began patrolling the following areas, offering food and hydration as well as spiritual and emotional care by trained counselors: 35th East and West areas.
Monetary donations are the most critical need as supplies and personnel move into the areas of greatest need.
• Donors are encouraged to give online at www.SalvationArmyUSA.org or by calling
• You can also text the word “STORM” to 80888 to make a $10 donation through your mobile phone; to confirm your gift, respond with the word “Yes.”*
• Checks may be made out to:
The Salvation Army Disaster Relief
PO BOX 2536
Oklahoma City, OK 73102
Please designate “Oklahoma May Tornadoes” on all checks.
The Salvation Army cannot accept unsolicited in kind donations for the Oklahoma tornado relief operation.
• Corporations, foundations and others interested in donating to The Salvation Army response effort should contact Lanita Lloyd at Lanita_Lloyd@uss.salvationarmy.org or 404-728-1300 ext. 10680.
• Due to the high expense and time demands associated with delivering your gently used household goods and clothing (gifts-in-kind), The Salvation Army cannot guarantee that any individual gifts-in-kind donated will be sent to the disaster area. In times of disaster, our stores fill these needs from existing, pre-sorted stock. By continuing to donate gently used household goods to your local Salvation Army store, you not only help your community, you help us prepare for future disaster relief needs. To find your nearest drop-off location, please visit www.satruck.org.
Those interested in volunteering with The Salvation Army’s Emergency Disaster Services should register at www.disaster.salvationarmyusa.org.
• Please note that disaster service training is a prerequisite for volunteering in a disaster zone and not all registered volunteers will be called on to serve.
• You can reach our Volunteer Coordinator at 405-620-2027 or alArmyOKTornadoVolunteer@gmail.com.
About The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army, an evangelical part of the universal Christian church established in London in 1865, has been supporting those in need in His name without discrimination for more than 130 years in the United States. Nearly 30 million Americans receive assistance from The Salvation Army each year through a broad array of social services that range from providing food for the hungry, relief for disaster victims, assistance for the disabled, outreach to the elderly and ill, clothing and shelter to the homeless and opportunities for underprivileged children. 82 cents of every dollar The Salvation Army spends is used to support those services in 5,000 communities nationwide. For more information, go to www.salvationarmyusa.org.