The Salvation Army USA National Fact Sheet: Florida Panhandle Floods- May 1, 2014
The Salvation Army continues to provide relief services including food, hydration, shelter, and emotional support for survivors and first responders of the Florida floods and will do so as needs arise.
- Salvation Army disaster personnel from across the Sunshine State are serving those in Florida affected by the recent flooding. Multiple disaster response units (canteens) have been deployed from Pensacola, Melbourne, Ocala and Tallahassee, Fla., and personnel are coordinating with local and state emergency management to serve first responders and survivors.
- The Salvation Army has served 1,280 meals, snacks and drinks to evacuees and emergency responders in Pensacola, Fla.
- Lodging has been provided for 147 evacuees since flooding began Tuesday.
- Salvation Army disaster teams are also active in nearby Mobile, Ala., serving meals and beverages to rescue workers and disaster survivors. The same storm system that has caused extensive flooding in Florida has also affected portions of the Alabama Gulf Coast.
- Support teams from Alabama are on standby and are prepared to deploy as relief efforts continue.
Since severe weather began Sunday April 27, 2014, The Salvation Army has continued to serve across eight states affected by heavy rain and tornadoes.
- The Salvation Army has served over 36,000 meals, snacks and drinks – as well as spiritual and emotional support – to hundreds of disaster survivors and first responders.
- 22 mobile feeding units have been deployed across the Midwest and Deep South.
Monetary donations are the most critical need as supplies and personnel are mobilized.
- Visit SalvationArmyUSA.org or call 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769)
- Text the word “STORM” to 80888 to make a $10 donation through your mobile phone; to confirm your gift, respond with the word “Yes”*
- Donations in the form of checks designated to “April 2014 Tornado and Flood Relief” may be mailed to:
The Salvation Army Disaster Relief
P.O. Box 1959
Atlanta, GA 30301
About The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army, an evangelical part of the universal Christian church established in London in 1865, has been supporting those in need in His name without discrimination for more than 130 years in the United States. Nearly 30 million Americans receive assistance from The Salvation Army each year through a range of social services: providing food for the hungry, relief for disaster victims, assistance for the disabled, outreach to the elderly and ill, clothing and shelter for the homeless, and opportunities for underprivileged children. Eighty-two cents of every dollar The Salvation Army spends is used to support those services in 5,000 communities nationwide. For more information, visit SalvationArmyUSA.org.