Support Services Continue Due to Arkansas Flooding
Cynthia (Cindy) Fuller
Arkansas(May 6, 2011) – Rivers continue to swell and go over their banks at near historic levels in Arkansas. One week after the Black River left its banks in Randolph County; The Salvation Army continues to support the community of Pocahontas. As of Thursday afternoon, The Salvation Army was requested to support additional areas.
The Salvation Army has been asked to provide support for the National Guard being deployed along the White River to monitor the river's flooding. On Thursday evening, the Central Arkansas Area Command made arrangements to deliver meals as the Fort Smith mobile feeding unit will arrive on Friday. Beginning Friday morning, breakfast, lunch, and dinner are being provided to approximately 200 National Guard Soldiers for the next five days.
In Randolph County Arkansas, flood waters continue to be high, causing treacherous travel. In Arkansas, many roads are closed. In areas driving into Pocahontas, the river seems within arm’s reach of the bridge.
The Little Rock mobile feeding unit is stationed at the Community Center on Geneva Drive in Pocahontas and is currently providing three meals a day. Cleaning, toiletry, and infant items, as well as other items are also being handed out to victims of the flood. Many are still not able to even get to their homes to see if they will have anything left. Several businesses continue to be closed and some City and County offices have been affected causing residents to have to go to a neighboring County for services.
On Saturday, a crew from El Dorado will take over meal service. As of Thursday evening, 3, 805 meals have been served in Pocahontas.
Financial donations are critically needed to support disaster relief efforts.
There are various ways to donate:
- Local Donations to Pocahontas may be mailed to 212 E. Everett Street, Pocahontas, AR 72455-3316.
- Visit www.salvationarmyusa.org
- Call 1-800-SAL-ARMY and designate April 2011 Tornado Outbreak.
- Checks may be made out to “The Salvation Army Disaster Services” and mailed to PO Box 100339, Atlanta, GA 30384-0339. Monetary donations will ensure The Salvation Army can meet the most immediate needs of those impacted by disaster.
- Text “GIVE” to 80888 to donate $10.