May 28, 2013 9:00 PM (Moore, OK ) -- The Salvation Army continues emergency disaster response to survivors of the tornado outbreak that occurred May 19 and May 20.
For the latest updates on The Salvation Army’s response to this disaster, there are many options to follow:
UPDATES BY LOCATION
The Salvation Army continues to provide relief services for tornado survivors and will continue to do so indefinitely. Food, hydration, emotional and spiritual care and other supplies are being provided to residents of the heavily impacted areas including:
Cleveland County (Little Axe), Lincoln County (Carney), Pottawatomie County (Shawnee and surrounding area) and Moore.
• Overall, The Salvation Army has provided food and hydration, as well other items including:
As of May 28, 2013 The Salvation Army has provided 33,904 meals, 45,874 drinks, and 34,000 snacks, 18 Canteens (mobile feeding units), 978 Clean Up and 1,064 Comfort (hygiene) kits, and prayer with 4,033 persons since Sunday, May 19. Nearly 7,500 man-hours have been logged by volunteers, employees and officers.
MARCS (Multi-Agency Resource Center)
Hours: Doors Open 9:00 AM
The Salvation Army is providing:
• Financial Assistance to tornado survivors
• Vouchers to tornado survivors to Salvation Army Family Stores for clothing
Carney: Carney High School – Rooms 5, 6, 7
304 S. Carney Road
Shawnee: Gordon Cooper Vo-Tech (Sky Labs 1 & 2 and Dining Facility)
1 John C. Bruton Boulevard
I-40 and Highway 18
Little Axe: Little Axe Elementary School
2000 168th Avenue NE
Norman, OK (Highway 9 and 168th)
Moore: Westmoore High School
12613 South Western
IN KIND EMERGENCY ASSISTANCE (Bulk Distribution) of In-Kind Gifts
Distribution begins at 9:00 AM
Revival of Christ Church
1005 SW 4th Street
Plaza Mayor At The Crossroads:
Distribution 9:00 AM until 6:00 PM
7000 Crossroads Boulevard
Oklahoma City, OK
(Located on SE Corner of mall in former JC Penney store)
Directions: Use I-240 entrance. Drive behind the AMC Theatre and park at the JC Penney Entrance. Enter through the double doors and look for signage.
FIXED FEEDING LOCATIONS:
• Papa John’s Pizza located at Revival of Christ Church, 1005 SW 4th Street, Moore
• Little Caesar’s Pizza located at Plaza Mayor at the Crossroads, 7000 Crossroads Boulevard (SW Corner of Mall at old JC Penney), Oklahoma City
• Canteen located at Revival of Christ Church, 1005 SW 4th Street, Moore
• Westmoore High School – MARC (Multi-Agency Recovery Center ) 12613 S. Western, Oklahoma City
• Little Axe Elementary- 2000 168th Avenue NE, Norman (Highway 9 and 168th)
Chick-fil-A- Two trucks will be roaming affected neighborhoods in Moore all day offering drinks and sandwiches.
• The Salvation Army maintains a fleet of disaster vehicles and supply warehouses across the United States to enable speedy mobilization.
• There are more than 300 emergency response vehicles in the eastern and southern United States alone and nearly 600 units nationwide.
• These units are able to serve thousands of meals and drinks per day when operating at full capacity.
• In addition to food, hydration, and emotional and spiritual care, The Salvation Army is also prepared to provide:
Monetary donations are the most critical need as supplies and personnel move into the areas of greatest need.
• Donors are encouraged to give online at www.SalvationArmyUSA.org or by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769).
• You can also text the word “STORM” to 80888 to make a $10 donation through your mobile phone; to confirm your gift, respond with the word “Yes.”*
• Checks may be made out to:
The Salvation Army Disaster Relief
PO BOX 2536
Oklahoma City, OK 73102
Please designate “Oklahoma May Tornadoes” on all checks.
• Corporations, foundations and others interested in donating to The Salvation Army response effort should contact Lanita Lloyd at Lanita_Lloyd@uss.salvationarmy.org or 404-728-1300 ext. 10680.
• Due to the high expense and time demands associated with delivering your gently-used household goods and clothing (gifts-in-kind), The Salvation Army cannot guarantee that any individual gifts-in-kind donated will be sent to the disaster area. In times of disaster, our stores fill these needs from existing, pre-sorted stock. By continuing to donate gently-used household goods to your local Salvation Army store, you not only help your community, you help us prepare for future disaster relief needs. To find your nearest drop-off location, please go to www.satruck.org.
• Those interested in volunteering should register at www.disaster.salvationarmyusa.org. Please note that disaster service training is a prerequisite for volunteering in a disaster zone and not all registered volunteers will be called on to serve.
• www.ServeMoore.com or by calling 866-484-3500. It is a coordinated volunteer effort.
Your donations make a real difference.
• A $10 donation feeds a disaster survivor for one day.
• A $30 donation provides one food box, containing staple foods for a family of four, or one household cleanup kit, containing brooms, mops, buckets and other cleaning supplies.
• A $100 donation can serve snacks and drinks for 125 survivors and emergency personnel at the scene of a disaster.
• A $250 donation can provide one hot meal to 100 people or keep a hydration station operational for 24 hours.
• A $500 donation keeps a Salvation Army canteen (mobile feeding unit) fully operational for one day.
About The Salvation Army
The Salvation Army, an evangelical part of the universal Christian church established in London in 1865, has been supporting those in need in His name without discrimination for more than 130 years in the United States. Nearly 30 million Americans receive assistance from The Salvation Army each year through a broad array of social services that range from providing food for the hungry, relief for disaster victims, assistance for the disabled, outreach to the elderly and ill, clothing and shelter to the homeless and opportunities for underprivileged children. 82 cents of every dollar The Salvation Army spends is used to support those services in 5,000 communities nationwide. For more information, go to www.salvationarmyusa.org.