The Salvation Army Responds to the Ponderosa Fire, Redding, CA
Redding, CA (August 20, 2012) – Salvation Army personnel throughout the Redding/Shasta County region mobilized on Saturday, 08/18/12 to respond to the 17,000 acre Ponderosa
The Salvation Army Redding Corps mobile kitchen and EDS teams are assigned to the Big League Dreams on Viking Way to allow for full evacuation of Shingletown area and the community of Viola. Where they have has provided more than 400 snacks, 860 meals, and 3,180 bottles of water and juice.
“We are providing meals and hydration to the fire personnel at the out posts, road blocks, and incident commands, and are assisting with evacuee needs, states Marie Moore, The Salvation Army Social Services Director for the Redding Corps.
Relief efforts will extend throughout the impacted region. In the short-term aftermath of this fire, Salvation Army officers and staff will focus primarily on the immediate needs of disaster survivors and first-responders, providing food, hydration and clothing/household item vouchers for impacted individuals and families. Mobile kitchens and canteen units are capable of serving over 500 meals per day.
The Salvation Army asks people who want to help those affected by the Ponderosa Fire to visit www.reddingsalarmy.org or call the local Corps office at 530.222.2207. Donors may contribute monetarily by calling the Corps office or mailing contributions to:
The Salvation Army
PO Box 492528
Redding, CA 96049
Monetary donations are needed to meet survivors’ most immediate needs:
• A $10 donation feeds a disaster survivor for one day
• A $30 donation provides one food box, containing staple foods for a family of four, or one household cleanup kit, containing brooms, mops, buckets and other cleaning supplies
• A $100 donation can serve snacks and drinks for 125 survivors and emergency personnel at the scene of a disaster
• A $250 donation can provide one hot meal to 100 people or keep a hydration station operational for 24 hours
• A $500 donation keeps a Salvation Army canteen fully operational for one day
People can also visit The Salvation Army Facebook at www.facebook.com/groups/TSA.Reding.Corps/ and Twitter@TSA_Redding for real time updates.